- Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC)
- The State Museum of Pennsylvania
- Nature Lab Programming
PHMC and the Pennsylvania Heritage Foundation have great resources for teachers, from professional development opportunities to publications and historic documents online.
Visit www.phmc.state.pa.us to find:
- Trails of History – connect with historic sites and museums near you to learn more about visiting, events, and educational opportunities. A number of sites now have special days for homeschoolers.
- Archaeology – resources to learn about what archaeology is and how it helps us learn about Pennsylvania
- State Archives – links to digital documents, including the Charter which founded Pennsylvania
- Videos – Learn more about Pennsylvania and the Civil War by viewing talks that PA Heritage, the State Library of PA, and the Pennsylvania Humanities Council cosponsored in 2011 and 2012 by visiting PHMC’s YouTube Channel.
The State Museum of Pennsylvania is the official museum of the commonwealth. Visit StateMuseumPA.org to find out more about the museum, including current exhibits and events and information on planning a group visit. It is located in downtown Harrisburg at 300 North Street.
Hours of Operation:
• Monday and Tuesday – Closed
• Wednesday through Saturday – 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
• Sunday – 12:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m.
• Adults – $7.00
• Adults 65+ – $6.00
• Children 1-11 – $5.00
• Active military and their immediate families (with ID) – Free
• Retired military personnel only (with ID) – Free
• State Museum of Pennsylvania Affiliate members – Free
• Pennsylvania Heritage Foundation members – Free
For more information on becoming a member, please visit The State Museum of Pennsylvania’s membership page.
Nature Lab, a multipurpose demonstration space adjacent to the natural history exhibits on the third floor of The State Museum. Nature Lab features live educational presentations, as well as interactive, hands-on learning experiences. Regular museum admission fees apply, unless otherwise noted.